Wednesday, February 11, 2009

True Original...

Ok so this here is probably one of the more exciting interviews that I really looked forward to. None other than Al Roybal. Who else do you know can handle driving days on end with the crew, stay out partying til the early morning, show up to the race and announce 100 motos of race action and then win a lap without ever jumping? And all the while he owns a horse! This guy has picked me up from random airports and left me stranded at shady clubs for better or for worse til death do us part. My friend that I would vouch for any day of the week- Al Roybal.



Name: Albert Roybal aka That goofy guy who announces!
Age: unknown
Class: of 1989
Hometown: Gilroy ...R.O.G. origional
Favorite Local Rider: As long as she's over 280 lbs I love er'
Favorite Track: NBL Grands (hands down)


Al Roybal... Where do we start? 90% of people will recognize your voice before they recognize your name, elaborate on how you have evolved into one of the best announcers in BMX? How and where did it gain momentum and where would you like to go with it?

I started announcing back in 1991 or so at Gilroy BMX. Acouple people heard me and it was done. I was announcing evry local and state race in California. Then came the NBL nationals and some motorcross and flat track racing. Now Im just doing NBL Elite nationals. Editors Note- Al declined to announce the UCI Worlds- Who does that?

Along with the announcing subject what would be your favorite term/remark/punchline that always gets a good laugh at the races?

He's off like a prom dress .... or maybe, ..... here comes the calvary!

Jump2Jump is something that you have developed over time- Explain the operation and how can someone get involved or get more information on setting up a show?

Jump2jump is a nonprofit drug and alcohol prevention program we have been involved with for years. We basically go into Elementary and Jr High schools and talk a lil' about bicycle safety and a lil bout' gettin high on bikes and not drugs (or skateboards, or roller blades or art, whatever it is you do, do it!!!) My father was an addict so this is a subject close to my heart. If someone wants to get a show going all they have to do is check the website at www.jump2jump.com and give me a ring!

Being that some would say your a "nibbler" and have somewhat not been serious about chasing an ABA National Plate, you showed up at ABA Grands 2008 to make a statement. For those of us that didnt see you in the main events what was the statement supposed to be?

HA HA .... I was in it to win it but somehow I ended up in the hospital trying to live !!!! Im going back next year just to whoop those ABA goofballs!

From the downsides of injury well move to a better time- You have gained some World Rankings along with Christmas Classic Cups that have been seen from your living room, to Ebay, to yard sales HA- Lets hear the accomplishments because you earned em! Favorite race accomplishment in the years you've been at it?

Im stoked on the 6 Presidents Cup wins! Each one of those cups represents a team effort. Ive won the NBL grands 3 times, a couple 2nds and 3rds .... made a couple World mains, Brazil was rad, Australia too. I got 3rd at the ABA worlds, but thats like winning 14 novice at reedley. Not really a big deal.

Ive personally traveled easily 15,000 Miles in the last year or so with you... Explain to the common person why it is we dont fly again?

Cause we are scared!!! I was in the Marine Corps, and basically I have alot of parachute jumps, Im a jumpmaster. Unless I have a parachute on I'm not getting on that contraption called a plane! I dont trust any pilot any plane, helicopter or flying machine, not even that Hudson river skippy guy. Their aint no river to save you flying over the Rockies!!! Or over Iowa!!! Last year Riofrio and I flew to Florida and had 2 emergency landings on our way to Texas!!! .... Riofrio is freaking me out about calling his mom and crap. He's like, " We lived through one today, we'll never survive again !!!!Should I call my mom!!!" ..... Dude, flying sucks !!! Get out and see this country along Interstate 10 or 15..... it doesn't get better than that!

How much money would it cost if you paid $0.10 a mile for a rental car and drove cross country?

HA HA .....done it! It was alot but luckily the driver didnt ask for a tip or I mighta had to call the wife for a lil' spending money!!!

You are pretty involved in all things Nor*Cal BMX related as well as the state series stuff, what is one thing you would change if you could snap your fingers and it would be done?

I would love to show all the ABA'ers how wonderful the NBL is and to remind them its all about friends and family, not points and jackets !!!!

Nor*Cal Pro Am... Who is looking hot and who should we keep an eye out for?

ME!!! Thats all I have to say bout that!




How fast is JB.COM going right now?

Not as fast as me! He needs to do some squats and get off the Al RoyNuts. I cant be training him forever!!! Tell him to quit calling and texting me about my training regime. He couldnt handle it !!!

Why do you setup in the gate crooked?

Im a lil crooked here and there so it just seems to work for me. Keeps me centered. Plus, I basically know Im gonna snap you so, I just wanna cut you off sooner rather than later.

Is Fresno Nor*Cal all the time or when Stumpy is gettin results?

Just when Stumpy gets results, and he hooks me up with the Troy lee stuff, ....wait and see what the jump 2 jump team is wearing this year at the state races.

2012 Olympics- The rumor is you have a Girl Pro thats going to shock the world... Any truth to that?

*Nick Valencia confirmed that he did build a very serious race bike and delivered to an unknown address at the Gilroy Olympic Training Facility...

HA ! My daughter has a dope 20" (GT ultra box) and cruiser and rides it to the corner to buy soda. Thats about it!! She raced in 2000, 2001 somewhere in there, but is just over it. She plays soccer, and is a bit too agressive !!! I dont know how to get her back on the right track.

Who has more power? Mary Garcia or Obama?

shi* ...... MARY!!! Hands down. Obama cant get a rider to jump 28 foot doubles with all that fancy dancy speech retorick! Obama dont know BMX!!!!

Hoo Rah? Semper Fi?

Both, forever a Marine! Using my Marine skills, Im gonna wax that Z-turd and his lil brother General Lee. They cant handle the truth! As for Lubbe' ...... who the heck is he? I own underwear older than Matt Trujillo so I aint trippin on some youngster!!!

Heres your chance to rant and rave, call people out, give thanks, express concern, spill the beans, tell a story? Lets hear it!

One time at band camp, meand my boy Nick, .....well that one's not really appropriate, .... okay, this one time, .....that one either. I want all those fools racing the Nor Caller Baller Series Shoot Out Pro Am (NCBSSOPA) thingy's that Im in .... your out, or going over that turn, ....yea you .... bring it, ....Im not Austin Lee, Im not gonna let someone steal my money. I aint got no love for you man. Im not Mary Poppins with a fist full of dough! If you try to beat me, your stealing from my wallet, taking food outta my mouth, my boys mouth! Should I just bend over, bury my head in the sand ..... WHAT !!! Bring it. ABA ....NBL ....who wants some!!!

Disclaimer, AL loves everyone! .....except anyone racing the Nor Cal Baller Series Shoot Out Pro AM......

No comments:

Post a Comment