Thursday, February 5, 2009

Austen Lee Explains...

Full Name:Austen D. Lee
Where ya from:San Jose, born and raised
Years racing:18...yes, I started when I was 3
Favorite spot:Anywhere I can ride and have fun
Favorite Pro/AM: Pro-Steven Cisar Am-Rusty Nesvig
Favorite Local Rider: Matt Trujillo

Give us a little background on how you got into BMX and went from up and coming grom kid to up and coming Pro?

I started racing big wheels at Santa Clara PAL while my brother was racing 5&under novice. Once I got my training wheels off and my dad finished shortening my cranks, I was out at Sunol BMX track. Its all been a blur up to me turning Pro in 2006. I was at the Blackjack nationals and felt great during practice and decided to make the jump. BMX has been great for me the past 18 years.

Getting to the vital questions well jump right into it, yourself and Lubbe had some good battles at the initial pro/am race. What are your thoughts on the level of competition?

I was surprised with how many people showed up to race and to watch. With the number of riders, I think we put on a good show for the local crowd, most of which haven't seen the national competition we experience. Overall, the competition was better than I had expected. A few people surprised me by making it and not making it to the main. Its only going to get more competitive as the season goes on.

You were coming in pretty hot into that last turn alot of people thought we were going to see a bump and run... Angle wasnt right possibly?

During the entire night, I knew it was going to come down to Gavin and I. I was close going into the first turn and he pulled away on the second straight. I knew my rythm is one of the strongest at PAL so was trying to set up and move in the last turn. I tried to double manual out of the rythm and bonked a little and I knew it was either take both of us out or hit the brakes and keep us both up. Looking back now, I really wish I would have stuck with it and see what happens.

Seeing as PAL has no shortage of both Single A riders AA's NAG Riders why do you think some of the bigger guns decided to duck you guys?

PAL definitely has some talent. I know Mike Hughes was busy with other plans that night. As for everyone else, I guess it was too cold or windy for them. I hope to see them out there for the next one.

What amateur if any was a standout for possibly a good finish or maybe even the win, and well go ahead and say that night and possibly what amateur do you see having a good season for the whole series?


Nick V always is a threat no matter where you are but I think Matt Trujillo is going to have the best series. He has impressed me everytime we do a Pro-Am. I think he can only get better and sooner or later, he'll be battling with some of the top guys.

What races can we watch for you at this year and whos helping you get around and make a run at a solid pro season?

Sadly, i'm not going to be at too many races this season. I am getting married in July so that kind of puts a damper on some funding. For sure I'll be at ABA's Oregon national, Bakersfield,Roseville, Reno in September, and possibly the Golden State depending on where it is. I plan to hit the NBL's Fresno and Prunedale nationals.

Thanks/Shoutouts-

First off I'd like to thank my future wife Cristina for understanding how important BMX is to me, my parents for getting me into the sport and financing 15 years of it, my brother for pushing me when needed and helping me out when it comes race time, Nick V for promoting these races and all he has done for the local scene, Steve at Bandit for supplying bike parts at the track, the entire Hughes family for taking the reigns at PAL and putting on a great facility year after years, all the volunteers at PAL, and lastly everyone who comes to PAL.

No comments:

Post a Comment